Monday, March 17, 2014

Confederacy of Finishing Confederacy Of Dunces

It's done everybody!

I've finally finished Confederacy of Dunces. This book was really good, but jesus christ, that took me waaaaay longer than it should have. I still have to read four more books in like... two weeks. Shiite. Shitaki Mushrooms. Shitzu. Because of this, expect the next couple of posts to come out a little more rapidly than previous ones.
How I feel about how much there still is to read...

So, the saga of Ignacius has finally come to a conclusion that actually was a shock. For most of the book Ignacius had been going more and more off of the beaten trail, going his own strange way in life. Toward the end of the book, his mother is remarrying, and wants to kick out her son to a mental hospital. Ignacius of course, is very disappointing in this and decides he must get away. How does he solve this? He gets depressed and goes to his room to pleasure himself for days on end. What a smart guy! What a good strategy! But, actually, Ignacius had another plan after this endless teenage-boy fest. In the end, his friend Myrna, who has been writing him letters frequently pulls up to his home and Ignacius climbs into her car and tells her to go. Right when Ignacius was finally going to end up in the Nut House, he ends up in a house with a Nut. Where does he go from here? The world shall never know. Ignacius's journey came to shockingly happy end. For a book that followed a depressed man for so long, having it end in a relatively happy way, with Ignacius avoiding the nut house was nice. It was nice to see Ignacius, in all his grossness, finally be happy.
Confederacy and True Blood actually have a lot in common!

So, the real question is, should others read this? How good is the book? The answer to both of these questions is yes. Even though asking "How good is the book" and answering "yes" is very grammatically incorrect, saying the answer to both of these is yes, sounds very good. So yes. Yes, you should read this book. And Yes, this book is quite good.

The only reason I would not read this book is if you are easily offended. The story involves A LOT of rather inappropriate scenes and dialogue. There's A LOT of sexual scenes (though they're pretty revolting).

Anyway, next up is Born Standing Up, by Steve Martin. Though at first I was planning to read Gilbert Gottfried's Rubber Balls and Liquor for a nonfiction, it's too long. I have a lot to read and very little time.

3 comments:

  1. Max,

    It's always nice to see others enjoying this project. I know that, since I've picked books that I knew I'd enjoy, I'm rather enjoying it as well! But yeah, I definitely feel you when it comes to just finishing the first book. Only recently did I finish my first book, Slaughterhouse Five, and admittedly, I've been sort of feverishly binging on my new book, Cosmos. In any case, the book you just finished definitely sounds like it's right up your alley, and I'm certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed it! I wish you the best of luck with your future books :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Max,
    I think its awesome that you found a book that you enjoyed so much. It doesn't sound exactly like a book I would be interested in, especially with the revolting sexual scenes. That doesn't interest me that much. It still does sound like an interesting book though, and it does seem awesome despite the disgusting scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It doesn't sound like my type of thing, but from the way you describe it it sounds like something I'd expect you to pick up, somehow. I'm curious to know how the picture relates to the book. What does it have in common with True Blood (or is that sarcastic?)

    ReplyDelete