Monday, March 31, 2014

At the Mountains of Sadness

It is done. I gotta say, not only am I sad to be finished with that book, but I am also sad to realize that as good as I have been about reading, I still have TWO MORE BOOKS. SHIITES! Hence, I am officially at the mountains of sadness. For some reason I imagine them looking like Mount Rushmore except with all of the presidents being goth. Maybe Washington dyed his hair black and is wearing red contacts? Or maybe they're all just crying. I wanted to put that joke as a caption under a picture, but I couldn't find anything that would represent what I was looking for. Ah, the struggles of the First World.
Drawing of a Shoggoth - looks like a friendly guy

Anyway, now that we've gone into the struggles of the first world, let's get into the Lovecraftian struggles of the First world. That is, the world that came before our own. The world of... The Mountains of Madness!
So, where we left off, our characters had just seen their friends slaughtered and then were let into the ancient city. Wow, that seems like such a distant memory even though it only happened 100 pages ago. Once inside the city, they begin to learn about the history of the place. They learn that the Old Ones had inhabited this place after finding shrines to the Old God Nyarlathotep and Dagon. As their servants, the Old Ones had created Shoggoths, old spawns of the Gods that had eventually gone rogue and killed those who once lived here. Then, Dagon himself came down and covered the city in snow, leaving it behind forever. As they learn this, they go into a dark tunnel where there is another of the mysterious rocks from the beginning. They lean forward to touch it and it comes alive, revealing itself to be none other than a Shoggoth. The main character's companions are quickly killed, but he escapes back outside to try and find his helicopter. Once he finds it, he realizes that it is out of fuel and that he is out of food. Looking back at the abandoned city, he starts to slowly lose sanity as the book comes to a close.
Drawing of Nyarlathotep - looks like he's wearing a mickey mouse wizard  hat

GODDAM! WHAT AN AWESOME WAY TO END A BOOK TITLED "AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS!" I LOVE LOVECRAFT!
Okay, sorry, I am fangirling over Lovecraft now. But seriously, that book was awesome. 4.9/5 or 9.8/10 or whatever. Super high rating. What an awesome story.



Luv u Luvcrft! 3> <3 (Wait how do i make the heart?)

I'll be starting Stephen King's The Mist pretty soon!

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment