Friday, March 7, 2014

Confederacy of Pretentious Bestiality Lovers?... Probably!

So far, I'm about one hundred and fifty pages into this book, I gotta say, it's pretty amusing.

For some reason I imagine Ignatius as Paul Giamatti
Essentially, the plot follows Ignatius Reilly, a pretentious eccentric man who seems to hate everything new and only like old scriptures and books. Particularly, he enjoys Boethius, an old philosopher. Ignatius is a very large man in his thirties who lives with his mother and scours around looking for a job. Though originally, this plot sounds rather depressing and terrible, it is actually very funny and enjoyable.
Ignatius thinks that he is better than everyone, giving him a superiority complex even though he is in his thirties and lives with his mother. That's probably what makes him such an entertaining character though. It doesn't stop there though. Ignacius's weirdness continues as you get deeper into the book though. Later on, we find out that... he find dogs arousing. That's right, Ignatius likes to lie on his bed and imagine his childhood dog.
And I... will always love yooooouuuuu
Although this could just be a sign of depression, I like to think that Ignacius will eventually end the book in a relationship with a dog. That would really make the book innovative.
In seriousness though, the strangeness of Ignacius's character is what makes him compelling. We still haven't found out the source of his hate for modern society or his weird dog fetish. It's things like these that keep us reading.

Aside from the book, so far, this assignment is great. I enjoy reading for pleasure and then getting credit for it. I also enjoy blogging... and then getting credit for it. Keep assignments like this one comin'! 

Keep checking back for more updates on... reading (I know it's sooooo interesting)!

3 comments:

  1. Max! I must say that I found it oddly satisfying to see you using your old blog. Reminds me of the good old days (so far away, one school year ago) when we used our blogs for the genius project! Anywho, your first book sounds... interesting... to say the least. Granted that I haven't read it, it's pretty hard to wrap my head around the whole concept! A man who lives with his mother, is fat, and has a superiority complex. Sounds like quite a storyline if you ask me. But I do have one question: what genre is it? Is it straight fiction? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? I'm just wondering because it seems like it would be pretty awkward to infuse this story into really any sub-genre!! Happy reading Max!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta say, I'm curious as to why you want him to end up in a relationship with a dog, and how far you're imagining this going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a very interesting plot that would probably make me feel uncomfortable to read. As always your blog post are enjoyable and I particularly enjoy the caption for the picture of the dog. I'm interested to know if he actually ends up with a dog...because that'd be quite a statement. You mentioned that he may be depressed, what led you to this kind of decision? Was depression a topic that was alluded to?

    ReplyDelete